Why is it important to choose the right pillow?
We spend about a third of our life sleeping. Therefore, a healthy sleep is what we need. It can not be doubted that a good sleep contributes to human’s wellness, beauty, health and good mood. If a person does not sleep well at night, he would hardly be able to concentrate at work, communicate and success in life
Sleep should be taken care of and one of the conditions to ensure this is the right choice of pillows. Unfortunately, many people still underestimate the importance of the pillow – They are able to sleep on anything, but this approach often leads to problems, not only on health and well-being.
A complete relaxation during sleep after a long working day is only possible if the human spine is in the correct position at night. If the choice of a pillow is not properly chosen, the consequences could be unpredictable. As every person is different, the curvature of the cervical spine also reacts to the condition in a different way.
To avoid this, you need to choose the right pillow, so it helps to relax certain parts of the body. It is not too difficult if you know some simple rules and functions. For more about your sleeping buddies, visit www.bedtimefriends.com.
The pillow’s height
How to choose the pillow’s height? If it is too low, your hand, while you are sleeping, will often be unintended put under your head or your head pillow, trying to lift it. High pillows cause discomfort, and low pillow combined with a too hard mattress can result in pain in the neck and shoulders lignification.
By the way, the size of the pillow can be anything – it is not important, and you can choose what you like: a large pillow, small or medium. In fact, the height and stiffness of the cushion are more important than the shape and filling.
Most pillows have a height of 6 to 16 cm, but many people feel comfortable with the pillows of the height of 10 to 14 cm. When choosing a pillow, ensure that its height is equal to the width of your shoulder – this is the best option.
How to choose the pillows – pillow stiffness
Upholstery hardness is determined by the position in which you are used to sleeping. Those people who sleeps on their side need hard cushions for good support of the head and neck. People who sleep more comfortably on their backs can get a pillow of medium hardness. And who sleeps on the stomach needs softer pillows. But actually sleep on the abdomen is not recommended.
How to choose the pillows – pillow shape
The shape of the pillow is classic – square or rectangular. The special orthopedic pillow with a recess for the head is in the shape of the roller. Regarding orthopedic pillows by the experts, there are different opinions: some are that it is not advised to sleep on orthopedic pillows all night, just to rest for a short time since they are hard, their shape does not change, and the rim can cause pain in the neck. Others believe this type of pads are best suited for those who want to protect their cervical spine: they are well supported by the head and neck when resting.
Perhaps, in the case of orthopedic pillows more than in other cases, the choice of these pillows is better to follow the advice of a professional, preferably the treating physician. It is not only the shape of the pillow but also its filler that makes it be opposite these days: the conventional use of various filler and the shape do not change depending on its quality.
Tips on choosing the right pillow
# 1. First of all, you should choose a pillow that comes under the shoulders, if you have wide shoulders, it is recommended to use a high pillow.
# 2. Remember, if you have the habit of placing a hand under the head pillow, there are signs that the pillow is too low for you. And if you can not sleep and turn a lot at night, then it is likely that your cushion is too high.
# 3. What “tenacity” is right for you. It depends directly on what position you are sleeping:
If a person sleeps “on the back,” it is best that the cushion is not too hard or too soft, but in the “middle way”.
If a person sleeps “on the side,” they should definitely choose a hard pillow. The stiffness is required to serve as a support for the neck and head.
If you are used to sleeping on the “abdominal,” opt for a soft pillow.
# 4. Determine the shape of the pillow. There are two main forms of pillows:
Classic – this is a common ordinary pillow for most people in the standard shape (square or rectangular).
Orthopedic – such pillow is often recommended by doctors. It is in an unusual shape, with an inner roller for the convenience of the neck or with a small notch at the top. This pillow is a good option for maintaining the cervical vertebra.
# 5. The filler. It is divided into several groups:
- Down or feather – are most commonly used by people all over the world. Doctors often advise you to opt for such an unpretentious filler. The only drawback is that they can result in an allergy. When you got this jewel in the inheritance – look forward and be happy.
- Wool – their advantage lies in the fact that they have a positive impact on health. It is known that wool fibers are in contact with an electrostatic field to facilitate such diseases as arthritic pain and rheumatism. But the disadvantage is that these pads are short-lived. Wool in rolls and back in its original condition is not possible. For people with allergies, the effect is contraindicated.
- Herbal filler – is now often used as a filler. It is usually made of buckwheat husks, coconut chips or filling of various herbs. This cushion is very useful for the cervical vertebra.
- Synthetic filler – It will be much cheaper than other natural fillers.
- Synthepon – a pillow filler for many years. It can be washed in the machine and dries quickly. Synthepon is not afraid of any bacteria or mites because they can not live there. The pillow is completely safe and does not cause any allergic reactions.
- Silicone – They are sturdy and do not lose their shape. However, they are cheap and last for a long time.
- Bamboo memory foam– Good for cooling effect