These days, most vehicles are made with what we called “car computers”. Such computers dictate what’s going on and they are in charge of determining what functions you need in order to find out the components have malfunctioned. This is what we can observe most especially on foreign vehicles. There might be some sort of something that deals with the importance of sensors that can be greatly used when things go bad.
Such sensors can figure out when the vehicle is not balanced anymore and will tell you what you need to fix the boo-boos before it turns deadly for your vehicle. This is how the OBD2 Scanners will help you. This amazing tool will diagnose the problems right beforehand and the OBD systems will give the owner or the repair technician access the status of the various vehicle subsystems. The onboard diagnostic II is the standardized system that the onboard computers in your car use for.
To buy the best OBD2 scanner is beneficial to help your car live a bit longer. There are so many OBD2 Scanner reviews you can find in the market today but determining which one is prompt is not that easy. In this article, you will learn amazingly great OBD2 Scanners and some prompt reviews about them for one and main purpose – to guide you in the way you can find your best choice.
Two Types of OBD2 Scanner
Before we proceed on the best OBD2 Scanner lists, the second version of onboard diagnostic has two types. Knowing their differences is essential to verify what type you really need to use for your car.
The Onboard Diagnostics version two has code reader types. A car code reader is one of the simplest diagnostic tools for a car that can just be found anywhere. Devices like code readers are designed to interface with the car’s computer in order to report codes in a very simple way. Newer vehicles can use the universal OBD2 code readers but cars and other vehicles that were built prior to 1996 need specific code readers such as the OBD1.
OBD2 code readers are typically not expensive. It is a no-frill device that can read and clear codes from any device as long as it is equipped with an OBD2 computer. Code readers have a few inbuilt limitations for they typically lack information when it comes to manufacturer-specific codes. It also provides limited and almost no access to other data.
A Car Code Reader’s Job
- As you can observe when the system determines that anything is out of spec, it sets a trouble code. Such trouble codes can be used in diagnostic procedures. Each code corresponds to a specific problem a car may have. However, there are different types of codes such as the hard and soft codes that stand for both ongoing and intermittent faults. When the trouble codes are set, there is a special indicator on the dashboard that typically lights up.
- The indicator is called the malfunction indicator lamp and it means that you can hook up a car code reader to find what the problems are. Just put in your mind that there are specific problems in your car and there are some codes that will not cause the light turns on. In this case, you need to have some type of connector that can be used to retrieve codes.
- In all OBD-II systems, retrieving the codes can be read by plugging a car code reader into the OBD connector. Doing this will allow the code reader to interface with the car’s computer, drag the codes and other basic functions as well. In order to use the car code reader, plug it in into the OBD system. The OBD-II connector is located just under the dashboard or behind a panel in it depends on the vehicles. Simple code readers are able to draw power via OBD-II connection.
The scan tool is a car diagnostic tool packed with a wide range of features and typically has a code reader included which has the ability to view and sort live data as well as some types of a knowledge base. Some scan tools especially those professional ones have extensive knowledge bases, diagnostic procedures and even have built-in scopes and other diagnostic packages.
The scan tools or the OBD2 scan tools are more expensive that those car code readers. However, they can offer a variety of different features and advanced troubleshooting information. Scan tools also offer more access and will provide more information about manufacturer-specific codes. One other great advantage of scan tools is the ability to give extensive and customizable access to live and recorded data.
A Scan Tool’s Job
- The scan tools are made with a car’s OBD system in order to help the process of diagnostic going. Scan tools are not like car code readers for they can be plugged into either OBD1 or OBD2 socket to read, clear the codes and view data readouts coming from various sensors. In scan tools, you can also get much other basic functionality because they are also able to store and play again live data, graph data, display pending codes, give trouble code definitions as well as troubleshooting procedures and tips.
- It is important to have the ability to read and clear codes, having a good scan tool is essential to diagnose your car’s problems. OBD2 Scanner can provide an immense amount of data from a wide variety of different sensors and provide the ability to store and playback live data with ease. One other great thing about having a scan tool is it provides some type of knowledge base. The knowledge base varies from one scan tool manufacturer to another.
- A good knowledge can save you large amount of time if you have relevant experiences with the car’s problems you are dealing with. Having premium scan tools is great to diagnose potential faults and track the real cause of the problem. Consider scan tools with code and data reading functionality. Your scan tool should also have superior knowledge bases with troubleshooting tips and built-in scope included.
Choosing the Right OBD2 Scanner
Although most professional scan tools are greatly expensive, you can still have amazing scan tools with the same functionality without compromising your budget. Grabbing products like these is highly important because having a tool that offers both functionality and affordability is exceptional. It is important as well to have knowledge about the tool you need and the following guides will help you sharpen that knowledge so you can choose what’s great.
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBD2 Scanner
The BlueDriver Bluetooth is one of the most high-rated tools and it is professionally made for people who wanted to maintain the wellness of their car. This tool is very much affordable and in one of the most top sellers in the market. It is a good consumer-rate scan tool that can be connected to Android or iOS mobile device which have been displayed in net categories for easy access. The BlueDriver offers complete easiness for easy error code checking.
Innova 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool
Another great scan tool that does not break a bank is the Innova 3160. The Innova 3160 is packed with various features. This tool displays a lot of information on every screen that will surely lead to the feeling of overwhelming. The Innova 3160 is considered to be more professional than just having an ordinary one. Upon checking, it reveals which section or category you are looking at and will give you detailed information about it right after.
426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool
One great thing of the 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool is it offers a simple navigation menu to help you get everything you want the most. It is highly great when it comes to information display. How a scan tool release information and how it is being displayed is important for a clearer and faster solution to the problems. The 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool provide easy data tracking transaction in order to diagnose serious problems as quick as possible.
Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus Scan Tool
The Actron CP9580A Enhanced AutoScanner Plus Scan Tool has pretty simple digital display. Such straightforward prettiness is what makes it good. It offers a set of menu selections that could tear apart even the most specific items of your vehicle. It also has various diagnostic features that you can use on your vehicle to find out problems. It even allows you to diagnose any trouble codes in a very easy way while evaluating other electronic components all over the vehicle.
Autel AL619 AutoLink OBD2 Scan Tool
The Autel AL619 AutoLink OBD2 is a professional yet affordable scan tool that offers easiness of use. This tool offers several screens to choose from. This tool is also capable of checking generic and other specific codes in a very simple testing process. When picking up monitoring device, you should also consider the power. Good thing that the Autel AL619 AutoLink OBD2 scan tools do not rely on any internal batteries. So when it comes to battery life, you do not have to worry about it with this gorgeous device. Diagnosing complex errors cab also be done by scan tool like this.
Main Consideration for you to have the Best Choice
One big thing that matters most to buyers is the cost or how much you would pay after taking out the device. Well, the more you pay the more features you can get as they say. Unfortunately, that is going to be the case when it comes to scan tools. Price may be varying on how great the tool for scanning problems is and what heavy duty it could give. However, OBD2 scanners are made with a very reasonable price that can’t even break the bank.
What great things that scan tool can offer is the other great thing to be given attention. If you want a minimalistic or really simple scan tool then go for those ordinary scanners. On the other hand, there are scanners that are packed with various features and functions to offer you complete coziness and quickness when it comes to diagnosing the car’s problems. Luckily, if you are with the OBD2, you are covered with all these categories.
3. Data Preferences
Car scanners are made to deal with data. This is because they pick up a massive amount of information from the computers of your car. Considering how the data will be managed is highly important to read the trouble codes in a very simple way. Data such as vehicle speed, tire pressure information, fuel efficiency and other important data that you may need to maintain the car’s health needs to be considered as well.
4. Battery and Power
Most car scanners are equipped with a battery in order to keep them powered up. Whatever type of scan tool you want it is really important to make sure that the tool you have has the ability to extend the time anytime which means your tool should have a battery or power that lasts longer hours. Some scan tools come with a helpful sleep function to prevent draining the power when it is turned off. A scanner that also draws a very low amount of power when used is a great advantage.
5. Information and Display
In order to read the codes more effectively, it should be displayed in a clear way so you can see them clearly. How everything is displayed is important to consider for it makes all the information easily accessible and everything it given should cover everything you are looking for.
The Importance of OBD2 Scanner
You probably heard about the OBD2 scanner, how important it is for auto repair and know what change it can make to your life but still not sure what to choose, read some helpful tips on www.zoniv.com. Vehicles can be the most important gear of your life. Without them, you can’t imagine where life takes you. The OBD2 scanner is definitely amazing!
- OBD-II PIDS (Parameter IDs)
- Scan Tool (Automotive)
- Data Link Connector (Automotive)
- Onboard Diagnostics
- “Live” Cars